Saturday, April 10, 2010

"The Major" of the Year

When it comes to professional golf majors, in my mind, none come close to the joy I receive watching The Masters. For me it is the coming of spring and the official beginning of the golf season. My first vivid memory of watching the final round on a Sunday afternoon came in 1986 when Jack Nicklaus stormed from (correct me if I'm wrong) 7 strokes behind on Sunday to win his 5th green jacket. Twenty-four years later, I still have this vivid memory of the home where I watched this event and remember the two brothers and their father who I watched with.

It amazes me how much of an impact sports has in our lives and how much time we devote to it. For example, just today, here are some examples of opportunities that I can think of for my family to be around today and we will be participating in at least 3 of these events.

Keeneland morning workouts
Soccer at 10:00 am
UK football scrimmage at 1:00 pm
3rd Rd. of the Masters at 3:30 pm
NCAA gymnastics regional at 6:00 pm
UK vs. Alabama in baseball at 6:30 pm

I'm not bashing sports. Sports is a huge part of our culture. But, with all of these events going on who has time for God? When we die and stand before God is he going to say "Good job - you did not miss a UK home football or basketball game in 25 years. Come into my house."

This may seem like a silly message. But, are we placing too strong of an emphasis on sports above the most important personal relationship we have on Earth, God?

Let's all take some time today and do some fearless inventory of ourselves. Are there opportunities where we can integrate God (instead of beer) into some of these events. I know looking back over the last 25 years one of the reasons I became such a huge sports fan was 99% of the time the event included beer. Whether watching a football game or playing golf 'king alcohol" was always near.

Today, I have come to learn that the game will go on with or without me and if folks are partying they really do not care if I'm there or not. When I first got sober I could not imagine attending a sporting event or playing golf sober. Today, because of a spiritual experience and some tools I have learned after the fog has cleared, I can not imagine putting one in me.

So, whether you go to Keenland today, attend a soccer game or watch or play some golf - at some point try and carve out a few minutes for God. I think you will become pleasantly surprised that the events you participate in will become more enjoyable if God is with you.

Keep it in the fairway....Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment