Sunday, December 5, 2010

Training the Tongue

It's a wintery Sunday afternoon. Keeley is at volleyball and Candice is running some errands. I finished some work around the house and now catching up on some reading. My reading has included SI, Golf, Daily meditation, Bible and the big book. There has been a common theme in my readings today, control of the small muscles.

In golf it's the proper grip. Sure you use your legs and arms in the golf swing, but you must have the proper grip in order to have a good swing. In life you must train your tongue. I have been reading the new testament the last few months and today I read James, chapter 2:1-12. In James I read "A great forest fire is set by a small spark. The tongue is also a fire, a world of evil among the part of the body. It corrupts the whole body". No wonder God gave us two ears and one tongue.

I have had to train my tongue. When agitated or provoked I used to immeadiately open my mouth and inevitably I would say something I later regretted. Today, I pause and instead of being quick to respond I try to think before I speak. I have learned that when agitated not saying anything is better than responding quickly.

Our words should be used to praise God and others, not used as a sword. Keep this in mind in managing all personal relationships and I think we all will find serenity in silence is more powerful than a sharp tongue.

Keep it in the fairway.

No comments:

Post a Comment