Monday, March 1, 2010

We must be born again

"For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy. But, when the goodness and loving kindness of God appeared, he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy, through the water of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit." (Titus 3:3-5, NRSV)

This scripture was apart of a Robert Lewis series, Men's Fraternity, that we had at Crestwood about 18 months ago. Dr. Lewis emphasized that in order to reach heaven we must all be born again.

I have mentioned before, I'm no saint and very new to spiritual living. I rely heavily on the old saying spiritual progress not spiritual perfection. I have, by the grace of God, had a spiritual experience and today God is doing for me things I could never do for myself.

Take for example, alcohol. I abused alcohol for over 20 years. Approximately 3 years ago (May 17, 2007) I had my last drink. Now you tell me how something that had been as much apart of my daily living as breathing, for 20+ YEARS, has now been removed from me. I do not even have a desire today to take a drink. That is the result of a spiritual experience. If God can change me he can change anyone.

So, how does this relate to golf? Well, in my opinion, it does not matter how long you have been away from the game (God) or how much you may have cursed the game while away. Whenever you are ready to come back and you have the sincere desire to ask the game for forgiveness, the game will forgive you and welcome you back as a born again player.

"This spirit He poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ, so that having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life." (Titus 3:6)

By the game's grace I'm here to tee it up again!

No comments:

Post a Comment